I decided on yet another upgrade to the refurbished Planar 3 turntable that I’ve been spinning lately. So far I had been using a stock Rega Felt Mat. But I felt like it was still lacking a bit of definition off the glass platter.
In the end I decided to try out a cork mat solution for the turntable, which is intended to further isolate vibrations off the table from the LP itself.
The results are beautiful. Bass clarity and overall soundstage have improved, and I no longer have to worry about static-cling lint from the felt mat. Overall, it’s a highly recommended upgrade!
Here are the specs on the Cork Mat:
- A high quality, extra thick, cork-paper-cork, 4.86 mm all cork 18 pads turntable mat. Incorporates a paper sheet in-bedded in the cork for added stiffness and resistance to tearing and breakage.
- This turntable mat with a total of 18 areas of contact will “embrace” your records in a delicate natural padding of cork, 9 big and 9 small cork pads protruding .034″ (.86mm) from the main mat surface making groove contact at 18 areas in your LP records and 9 contact areas in the smaller 45 RPM and similar formats.
- Improve the damping effect of your platter with this high quality cork mat.
- Base mat 11.3″ diameter (28.7 cm) 0.157″ thick (4.0 mm)
- The mat is matched to the LP record for optimal performance, not to a particular turntable platter size or brand.
- Overall thickness 0.191″ (4.86) mm, a very close approximation, it changes slightly with temperature and humidity variations. 9 round pads 0.034″ (.86mm) thick, 2″ (5cm) diameter. 9 round 0.034″ (.86mm) thick 1.3″ (3.3cm) diameter.
- Suitable for many turntables including: Thorens, Verdier, Linn, Sota, Rega, Micro Seiki, Oracle, Garrard just to name a few.
- Hand made and inspected individually.